Organisation

 

The Two Parishes

Bywell is an ancient medieval parish which was once much larger than it is today. Mickley parish was created in the nineteenth century out of the existing parish of Ovingham. As with Bywell today, Ovingham parish at that time included land on both the north and south banks of the Tyne. For the first time in 1997 the two parishes of Bywell St Peter, Stocksfield and Mickley St George were served by the same priest. In May 2008 a United Benefice was created (a benefice is an ecclesiastical term for one or more parishes that provide a living for a priest) with one vicar serving both parishes. The two Parochial Church Councils are separate legal entities but are seeking to work more closely to make best use of resources and opportunities within their communities.

Benefice outline parishes2
 

Benefice labelled2

Our Communities

Geographically, the benefice is bounded by the A68 and A69, and the river Tyne close to Mickley, whilst to the south the boundary straddles the watershed of the River Derwent. To the south of the Tyne, the two ecclesiastical parishes sit  within the three civil parishes of Broomley and Stocksfield, Prudhoe, and Hedley on the Hill and, to the north of the Tyne, within Bywell & Newton.

There are three church buildings: St Peter’s in Bywell, which is the ancient parish church; St George’s in Mickley built in 1824 and extended in 1886; and St John's in Stocksfield built in 1927 to meet the needs of the growing village of Stocksfield. There is also a hall opened in 2000 next to St John's church on Meadowfield Road in Stocksfield.